History of Mahanoy City
Written in 1933-34
Most of the early history of Mahanoy City was taken from the account written by Mrs. T. H. B. Lyon. A great deal of information was obtained
by Garfield Lewis, Jeanne Faust, John Malone, Josephine Unsinn, Jane Glaudel, Elsie Oliver, Robert Lowe, Bertha Tulin, Jane Maher and Anna Ryan, from interviews with Mrs. R. P. Swank, Mrs. T. L. Thomas and Mr. William H. Boyer.
The history was compiled by Theresa Lusckus,
Lillian Bonavage, Charles Welsh and Charles Doorley. The typists were Theresa Lusckus, LillianBonavage, Freida Tulin, Leodania Wysocki, Josephine Matalavage and Anna Gnall.
Mahanoy City, a promising little town, has grown into prominence within a comparatively few years, and now easily assumes the third place in population and second in commercial importance
in Schuylkill County. The settlement of the village began practically in 1859, previous to which date there were a few settlers on the village site, but it did not assume the dignity of even
a small village. On the sixteenth of December,
1863, the charter was granted by the court, and thus a prosperous little city was ushered into existence. A post office was established in 1859 with John Lindemuth as the postmaster.
Mrs. Severn was postmistress for years in the post office on Main Street where Haughney's restaurant is now located.
The name Mahanoy City is no doubt a corruption of the Indian name Maghonioy. In describing a tract of land purchased of the Five Nations, these words are used: Running up to the north side
of the mouth of the creek called in the language of the Delaware
Indians, Maghonioy. That creek is now called Mahanoy Creek, which is a branch of the Big River, Susquehanna, and this creek runs through the Borough of Mahanoy City.
The town no doubt takes its name from the creek. Maghonioy is a beautiful name and it is
a great pity that it should ever have been corrupted into the
doubtful name of Mahanoy.
The Iroquois had conquered all the Indian tribes in Pennsylvania many years before there were any white settlers on the present territory of Schuylkill County.
This was merely a hunting ground for the Delaware Indians, and not a permanent residence for any tribe. So we get the name, not from the real owners of the
land, but from these wandering hunters. There never was any attempt, as far as known, for even a temporary abiding place by any of these tribes.
The country was not fitted for Indian towns,being too rocky and barren, while the streams were rough and carried a heavy undergrowth of laurel,
which prevented fishing and any easy way of canoe travel by short stages.
The origin of the first house built within the limits of the town is very obscure. Some say it was built by an old German hunter named Reisch, who used to spend most of his time in the woods. It was an old log house when first known and situated
on the east side of the old Catawissa turnpike, which is now Main Street, and directly opposite the offices of the Mansion House.
Many different tenants seem to have occupied this old log house temporarily. It was used as a hostelry and as a possession house.
In the latest written account of the "Peddler's Grave" we read how Jost. Folhaber, the old peddler, and his murderer, Benjamin Bailey, lodged in Reisch's log house before the tragedy.
The front part of the house was torn down, and the back part moved to the lower
end of the third lot on Centre Street, where it served as a kitchen for the new tavern erected by Jacob Faust for Emanuel Boyer in 1853.
Many of the early settlers of the borough and township were Welsh people attracted to the place by the flattering opportunities for mining with
which business they were familiar in their native country. Emanuel Boyer was the first permanent resident of Mahanoy City. His house stood on the third lot from what is now Main street,
on the south side facing Centre. It is the lot on which Noonan's Department store is now located. Mr. Boyer was asked, by the Little
(Schuylkill Company, to come here and settle to keep possession of the tract of land purchased by them from the Kunkle heirs.
Henry Stauffer, one of the early settlers, was one of the organizers of the township, and a man of influence and prominence. He settled in the township in 1808, and his son, H. H. Stauffer,
served many years as a justice of the peace and in other official places in the town and county.
When Mr. Boyer settled here his nearest neighbor was Mr. William Faust, who was stationed by the Little Schuylkill Company in a possession house on a small farm back of what is now known
as Lanigan's Patch - three miles from Mahanoy City.
Mr. Boyer, the first resident here, was given the choice of the four corners at the junction of Main and Centre Streets. He took three lots on the southeast corner and built on the third
The northeast corner was purchased by Thompson Brothers,
who erected a large store which was occupied by one of the brothers, Dr. L. C. Thompson. The First National Bank now owns and occupies this corner. The southwest corner, opopsite the
first log house, was built up by the Little Schuylkill Company for a hotel and is now known as the Mansion Hotel. Its first landlord was Wilbur Smith. William Agard bought the
the northeast corner and built a house on the third lot facing Main Street, which was occupied as a possession house by Edward Boyer, who sold drinks by the quart. He was a distant
relative of Emanuel Boyer. The first and second lots were purchased from Emanuel Boyer by
John C. Knapp. Mr. Knapp conducted a butcher shop in the vicinity and constructed a Fairbanks weigh scales at the northeast corner of
it the present Main and Market Streets where farmers came to weigh their wagons of produce. The scales occupied the space in the street directly in front of what is now Shandri's News Agency.
Mayer and Trier had a tailoring establishment on the first lot of Knapp's for years. The Merchants Trust Company was located on this lot years before they moved to their present location.
A man by the name of Kunkel owned thousands of acres of land in Mahanoy City and it is said that he offered an acre of land to any man for a day's work. What is Main Street was the
old Catawissa turnpike, and the old log house, whose main part
was torn down about 1850, was the only house for three miles along that road. The mountain house was built afterwards as a possession house and road house.
On the hillside north of the Reading
depot is a burying ground. No one knows who are buried there. The graves were fenced in when Mr. Boyer came here, and there were no headstones or marks of any kind to tell whose bodies
they contained. The graves are now entirely obliterated, and only a few of the oldest inhabitants even remember having seen them.
Before the channel of the creek was changed, the lots along Main street reaching from what is now Market Street to Mahanoy Avenue, were a bed of brick clay, and Emanuel Boyer built two
brick kilns, one near what is now Pine Street and another near the northeast corner of Main and Mahanoy Streets. The bricks were made from clay taken from these lots, and were sold to Kear and
There was an old map of Mahanoy City drawn about 1856, but the true map of the town, as now laid out, is the one drawn by Frank Carter in 1859. Mr. Carter came here in the early fifties.
He built and lived at the southeast corner of Main and Maple streets, on the Pottsville road.
His brother William liived on Mahanoy Avenue, on the tract owned by Troutman, Biddle, and
Dundas, in what was called "Hesse Stadtel" because Hessians settled in that part of the town. The company used to bring in train loads of these emigrants to work in the mines that were
The houses in Mahanoy Clty were very few and far between, but once the settlers started to build they soon developed a little town. The houses were built of logs with slanting
roofs and consisted of one or two rooms. There were wooden pavements where there were no dirt pavements. Each family had a lot of twenty-five feet, and fifteen feet of this lot were used for raising their
meager crops. During the winter their food supply for the most part consisted of salted meats, which they had butchered, and a barrel of sauerkraut.
The company leased the land to individual operators with the understanding that each was to mine and ship a certain amount of coal during the year, and E. S. Silliman was the only one of the lessees that
carried out his contract in full. Henry Litsch came here and built the first bridge in town at the junction of Main and Water (now Market) Streets. Litsch's contract called for half payment in store
supplies, and Emanuel Boyer boarded the men and took store supplies for payment, so that very little money was exchanged in this business transaction.
The woods were full of game, and the streams were full of fish.An interesting story is told about Mr. Patterson bringing
a man from Pottsville to compete with Mr. Boyer at catching fish. His name was Johnny Kutsner. The man that caught the greater number of fish from six o'clock in the morning until four in the
afternoon received five dollars. Boyer gave his opponent the choice of streams and to Boyer was left the Tunnel stream, and between here and the Tunnel, Boyer caught four hundred trout.
In the year 1863 the Borough of Mahanoy City was incorporated.
There were seventy-three signers to the petition. Some of the freeholders of the town were G. E. Brendle, Emanuel Boyer, William H. Heidenreich, G. R. Goodman, John Hersker, Jacob Frank and Jacob
In 1866 it was divided into five wards - First and Second, being west of Main Street, and Third, Fourth and Fifth, east of Main Street.
John Eichman was the first Chief Burgess - elected in 1865, and was re-elected for seven consecutive terms. Emanuel Boyer was elected Chief Burgess in 1871.
Frank Wenrich was elected in 1872.
He served in the Pottsville First Defenders in the War for the Union. He was first Lieutenant in the Silliman Guards until he moved from town. He was arrested and tried for complicity in
the Wiggan's Patch Riot, but, was triumphantly vindicated of the
George Major was elected Chief Burgess in 1874. Herskers lived where the Wallauer store is now located and during a fire,
back of this property on Railroad street, George Major was shot and later died of the wounds. The Silliman Guards were mustered in November 1875-Captain,
John F. Schoener; First Lieutenant, Frank Wenrich; Second Lieutenant, S. S. Hoppes.
The population of Mahanoy City in 1900 was 13,504, and its commercial interests were represented in 1906 by 409 business houses engaged in all different lines of mercantile traffic.
The Humane Fire Company No. 1 was organized June 18, 1868, with twenty-four members. Michael Kelley is the present President.
The Citizens Fire Company No.2 was organized in February 1870. Five years later a Silsby fire engine was added to the equipment, thus completing, what was then a very efficient force.
The present President is John Kleindienst.
The Hook and Ladder Fire Company was organized March 29,1886. James Painter is the present President.
The Good American Fire,Company was organized in 1893. They have two trucks which cannot be excelled in combating fire. The present President is Henry Schreyer.
The West End Fire Company held their first meeting in Nork's Hall in 1925 for the purpose of organizing. In 1926, they held a bazaar to raise money for a building which they started to construct in 1927.
A modern truck was purchased in 1931. John Urban was the first President. This company is no longer a part of the fire department.
The Town of Churches
The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1861, and the church
edifice was erected in 1862.
The Church of Faith, Protestant Episcopal, was organized on Aug. 18, 1864, and the building of a house of worship was at once begun.
Members of St. Paul's Reformed Church, the first services of which denomination were held in 1862, elected a Consistory on Jan. 17, 1863, and thus completed the formal organization of the church.
A house of worship was erected in 1864 and dedicated on September 17, 1865.
The Welsh Congregational Church was formally organized on December 20, 1863 and a house of worship was erected in 1865.
The American Primitive Methodist Church was established in 1864.
The Zion Welsh Baptist in 1865; the English Baptist in March 1867.
Tne Salem United Evangelical Church was established as early as 1859, and St. John's Lutheran Church in 1867.
Christ Church of the German Evangelical Lutheran denomination was organized in May 1867.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church held its first mission from 1861 to 1863. The church building was constructed in 1864.
The English speaking Catholic Church in Mahanoy City was more than three years in construction, and was dedicated in July 1866,
by Bishop Wood of Philadelphia. It is known as St. Canicus Church.
St. Fidelis German Catholic Church was erected in 1866. The first High Mass was celebrated in the unfinished building on Christmas Day.
Saint Joseph's Lithuanian Catholic Church was completed in
1888. The church choir is an outstanding accomplishment of the congregation.
The Polish Catholic was organized in 1903. It is known as St. Casimir's Church.
The Italian Catholic Church, known as the Sacred Heart Church, was organized in 1908.
St. Mary's Greek Catholic Church was constructed in 1891. A new church was built in 1931.
St. Mary's Slovak Catholic Church was organized in the latter part of the 1800's.
The St. Nicholas Ukrainian Church was constructed in 1923.
The Slovak Lutheran Church was erected in 1904.
The Christian Science Society of Mahanoy City became a branch of the Mother Church, the first church of Christ Scientist of Boston, Massachusetts about November 1911, and met in Williams' Hall,
523 E. Centre Street, Mahanoy City. It now meets at 231 East Mahanoy Avenue, Mahanoy City, Pa.
History of the Mahanoy City Schools
The first School Board met in 1862 and consisted of five men: Dr. Louis Thompson, Frank Carter, Mr. Wallborn, David
Klingerman, and one other of which there is no record.
Oliver Bechtel was the first candidate for the teacher's
position, and was elected the first public school teacher. He taught in a log school house at Spruce and Linden Streets.
In 1863, a four room school house was built of brick. The new teachers elected were: Harry I. Williams, Anna K. Wilson and Melinda Dimmick.
In 1864, John M. Barry as elected President of the School Board; David Phillips, Treasurer, and John M. Cunninghan , Secretary. W. H. Heidenreich,
Balentine Benner and John Tobin were the other members of the Board.
In 1864, Oliver Bechtel resigned and later became Judge of
Schuylkill Country. James V. Brunner took his place. Then the schools were graded High, Grammnar, Secondary and Primary.
Mr. Brunner was the first high school teacher. Harry I. Williams, took Charge of the Grammar School; Melinda Dimmick, the Secondary school, and Anna K. Wilson,
the Primary School.
Between 1864 and 1866 nearly 700 names appeared on the school roll.
In 1867, the Pine Street brick tuilding was erected at a cost of $7,646.82. While the building was being erected, the
children went to school in the basement of Welsh Congregational Church. Elizabeth Jeffries and Jennie Thomas were the first ones to teach in this basement. The population of the town at this
time was about 4500.
At midnight, January 9, 1867, the Spruce Street school building caught fire but it was soon extinguished and little damage done.
In 1871 the Centre Street building was built at a cost of $20,000.00. Tbe east room on third floor was used as the High School until 1880 when the High School was transferred to the Pine Street building.
In 1875 a brick annex of six rooms was added to the Spruce Street building.
In 1884 the Pine Street building was torn down because it was too small and in its place a new eight room building was erected.
While this was being built the High School was held in the Armory Hall,
from 1885 to 1898. In 1888 a new building was erected in the First Ward.In 1893, the Twelfth Street building was built.
The High School enrollment in 1893 was 83 and the Grammar School enrollment in 1896 was 112.
The High School was organized in 1864 and the first class to have commencement exercises was the Class of "1875." The members of this class were: Thomas J. Parmley-Valedictorian;
Allen H. Swalm-Salutatorian; Charles Snyder, Jr., Carrie Bricker, Howard O. Bensinger and Ralph Bricker.
In 1875 there were six graduates, while in 1933 there were 204. The smallest class was the Class of 1877 with two graduates. Grammar school was organized in 1864 with the first commencement in 1892.
The number of teachers and pupils in December 1934
Visiting Nurse Association
On June 2, 1914, a meeting was held in the Citizens Fire Company rooms for the purpose of'organizing an Auxiliary Board of Control of the Visiting Nurse Association of the
Shenandoah-Mahanoy City District. Dr. Phaon Hermany presided over the meeting, and Misses Mary Hornsby, Sallie Hermany, Carrie Hess, Lulu Kester, Mrs. Thomas B. Wren,
Mrs. Gezo Lefkowith, Mrs. Horace D. Hermany, and Mr. Dailey of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company were also present.
On June 5, another meeting was held and a permanent organization was formed with the following officers:
Mrs. George G. Mayer;
Vice Presidents: Mrs. Thomas B. Wren,
Mrs. Gezo Lefkowith;
Secretary - Mrs. Robert P. Swank;
Treasurer - Mrs.Horace D. Hermany.
It was decided to hold a Welfare Exhibit, the week of June 22. This was held with the aid ofthe State Department of Health in Boczkowski's Hall with most surprising and excellent results.
July 4, was selected as Tag Day to secure funds to start the work. On July 7, it was deemed advisable that in as much as the funds were only sufficient for one nurse and that if she divided her time
between these two towns the service
would not be satisfactory. It was therefore, decided to form the Mahanoy City Visiting Nurse Association with the motto, "That no one in Mahanoy City should suffer or die
The Nurse Committee consisting of : Dr. Hermany, Rev.
Fletcher, Mrs. Wren, Mrs. Wolf and Mrs. Swank, secured Miss May Jenkins at a salary of sixty dollars a month. Miss Jenkins was sent to Reading to study the work of
the Society there.
The first month the Visiting Nurses Association had fifteen patients with eighty-nine visits. From the beginning, a "pay patients" service was inaugurated ,
as well as the regular District work among the poor.
From the beginning, half of
the work was charity.
In the second month of the work, the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company's care of their industrial policy holders was turned over to the Society.
This has always been a
substantial source of work and income.
The people of Mahanoy
City have always contributed liberally to this organization. Calls for the nurse come from all sources and classes.
The first year 1,936 visits were made to 250 patients. The nurses employed by the association were:
Miss May Jenkins 1 year
Miss Mary Sheurin (Haley) 2 years
Miss Elizabeth Mezzo 1 year
Miss Jane B. Stevens 4 months (Until called by government for war service)
Mrs.Mary Sheurin Haley 9 months
Miss Jane Stevens (Smith) 1 1/2 years
Mrs. Anderson 6 months
Miss Petronella Schumacher (Sherry) 3 months
Miss Pauline Kistler (Reed) 10 years
Miss Blanche Raudenbush 2 years
The officers have been the same since the beginning of the organization except that of the President, Mrs.George
G. Mayer, who moved from Mahanoy City in October 1929. Mrs. Thomas B. Wren was elected President and has since filled
The Board. of Managers who are elected annually are, at the present time:
Mrs. Charles Hendricks , Mrs. Leon E. Lewis, Mrs. Anne B. Kline ,Mrs.Russell L. Foster, Mrs. Robert B. Davies, Mrs. Thomas P. Ryan,
Mrs. Miriam Adam , Miss Emma Trier, Mrs.George Barlow and Mrs. Minnie F. Spencer.
The Welfare Nurses of the Vistiing Nurse Association were: Miss Emily A. Roath-School nurse from November 4, 1921
Miss Millicent Arnell-School Nurse fron January 1923 to June 1924.
The first Toxin-Anti-toxin campaign for children
under twelve years of was conducted by Miss Arnell in
1923. This was the beginning of a yearly campaign.
A "Little Mothers League" was formed and lectures were delivered to all girls above the Sixth Grade.
A "Baby Need" was held in the Mahanoy City High School from April 3 to April 7, 1916. The first day fourteen babies were registered; on the second day, thirty-five, and on the third, fifty-six.
In the afternoons lectures were given by the following: Dr. Evans, Dr. Riley, Dr. Hermany, Dr.Seligman and Dr. Bredt.
The evening lectures were by Dr.Wagner,Dr. Miller, Dr. Stiles and Dr. Olsho. Each afternoon plays were given and pictures shown. "A Leak in the Dyke" was presented by Mrs. Ryan, Miss Reed, Mr.Dolphin,
Mr.Maurer and Mr.Williams. "Judith and Ariel" was given by Miss Rinck, and "Mother Goose
Up to Date," was presented under the direction of Miss Hornsby.
The first Baby Clinic was held in the 12th Street Building, in June 1922. Miss Kleindienst assisted, and in the first
month 255 babies were enrolled. Miss Edity Bray (Keiser) assisted from August 1925 to December 1926. At this time, the total registration was 831.
Doctors Holland, Keiser and Seligman aided in the clinics.
The Baby Clinic was closed from December 1926 to lpril 1932.
The Doctors now serving the
Clinic are: Burke, Fenton, Hensyl, Keiser, Richiutti
and Seligman. At the present time the registration is 635.
The Influenza Epidemic
In October 1918 an epdidemic of influenza spread through the town, At the beginning of the epidemic, Mr. Frank F. Reed, was Health Officer, and Mr.Palmer was the Secretary. These
two were soon stricken with the dread disease and the State appointed Mr. George J. Post and Mr. John Goyne to the respective positions.
The first place to be used as a hospital was the Kaier Hotel. This was soon overcrowded and the Mahanoy City High SchooI
Building was then pressed into service. Witinesses stated that the place was strewn with victims. The Junior High School was used
as a morgue and the Elk's Home served as headquarters.
Much assistance was rendered the Board of Health by the Faculty of the Mahanoy City Public Schools who acted as clerks, stenographers, secretaries, etc. The Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron
Company also gave valuable assistance.
The first victim was Mr.William H. Kohler, Cashier of the Union National Bank. At the time he was stricken, it was not known that he had the "flu."
All of the churches, schools, theatres and other public
houses were closed.
The infantile paralysis epidemic began in MahanoyCity in August 1916. Many local people contracted the disease. Schools and churches were closed.
The first epidemic of small pox was in 1872, and the
second occurred in 1904. Tne vaccine used during these epidemics was so strong that many lost their arms. Rose Quin and Weslie Smith died of the disease. Dr. Klock and Dr. Dunn contracted the disease
in the performance of their duties.
The scarlet fever epidemic began in September 1892 and
measles in 1933.
Bursting of Darn
On Friday evening, June 17, 1892, just after dusk had turned to darkness, the dam, swollen beyond its greatest capacity of more than a week of incessant rainfall, burst.
The millions of gallons of water behind the clay breast
of the reservoir broke past its confines and tumbled in a great cascade toward Main Street.
Dr. Louis Weber was the first to break the news of the impending floodwaters. He came down Main Street with only three wheels on his carriage, the horse running wild, and yelling,
"Run for your lives, the dam's busted." Excitement prevailed in the darkness as families fled to the hillsides
fearing a repetition of the Johnstown flood of just three years before.
The time of the break is placed between 8 :00 and 9:20 o'clock, and women and children ran to the hills in bare feet.
On the crest of the flood rode logs, chicken coops,
outhouses, trees, and barrels from the Kaier brewery. A section of the flood swirled along the creek channel, north of Railroad Street, but when the debris blocked the creek culvert near the
old gas house the water turned back to Main Street.
At Main and Centre Streets, the water was knee deep and the high watermark was at the pavement before Christ Lutheran Church at Main and Mahanoy Streets. The houses and cellars
along Main Street were swept with water and the floorings covered with culm seepage. Following the receding of the
water it took weeks for local people to clear their homes and the town of the dirt from the flood. It was one of the
most spectacular events of the town history .
In the year 1900, the miners voiced their protests against the existing wage scale and declared a strike throughout the coal regions. This strike lasted six weeks and resulted in a ten per cent
increase in the wages of all mine workers.
Two years later, another strike broke out, caused by the miners' dissatisfaction with the wages, hours and the method of weighing coal. The workers demanded
an increase in wages, and decrease in hours and payment
for coal, by weight, wherever practicable, rather than by car.
The following mandate was issued:
"Presidents of local unions and mine committees are hereby instructed to wait upon mine superintendents and not notify that on, and after Monday, June 2, all engineers, firemen and pumpmen expected to
work only eight hours each day, ard are to receive present wages."
In obedience to this order, approximately 147,000 men walked out on strike in May 1902 and remained idle until October of the same year.
It is practically impossible to state accurately the losses occasioned by the strike. In wages, the employees lost a total of $25,000,000.00 and $1,800,000.00 was
distributed in relief funds.
The Strike Commission made awards in 1903 for a period of three years. The next agreement was signed May 7, 1906. Then again, April 29, 1909. When three years expired the agreements were signed
May 20, 1912, followed by the agreement of May 5, 1916. An agreement supplemental to that of May 5, 1916 was made April 25,
1917, November 15, 1918, and September 29, 1915. The last agreement was made September 2, 1920.
Again in 1925, the miners showed dissatisfaction with their wages, by declaring a strike, which lasted
for six months, from September to March. It was finally brought to a close, and the men went back to work on the original wage scale.
The following are the collieries in Mahanoy City:
Mahanoy City lies on the New York and Cleveland air route, and is in the district known to aviators as the graveyard route.
Both passenger and mail planes pass over Mahanoy City daily.
The bus lines passing through town are the Reading - Jersey Central which has its station at Post's Shoe Store, and Lakes-to-Sea stages, which stop at Noakes' Cigar Store.
The Philadelphia and Reading, and the Lehigh Valley Railroads also, pass through town.
Mahanoy City lies on State Highway Route 45, which was built in 1917.
Ths relief work of Mahanoy City is under the organization of the Federal and State Emergencies Relief Board. The local unemployed have been
put to work at cleaning and rechanneling the creek, fixing the streets, repairing school buildings,
and fixing the West End Athletic Field. Relief orders were given out according to family budgets. The work is under the supervision of Mr. Porter
The Mahanoy City Gas Company was incorporated February 21, 1874, with an authorized capitalization of $30,000.00. The plant was completed and the gas turned on October 1, 1874.
The Light, Heat and Power Company was organized
in 1887 and has wrought a revolution in the heating and lighting of the town.
The Mahanoy City Water Company was organized in
February 1866 at 44 N. Main Street. The first owners of the Company were: E. S. Silliman, Sr., G. F. Wiggan and H. M. Parmley.
In June 1929 the Company was sold by the descendants of the first owners to the Inland Utilities. At a later period ,1931, it was made a part of the Southeastern Gas and Water Company , the present owners.
The town has two sources of water supply, Gravity system and Pumping system.
The Gravity system is situated two and one half miles north of town, and is made up of four reservoirs
and two feeder basins with a total capacity of 83,,000,000 gallons.
# 1 Reservoir has a capacity of 10,599,991 gallons and is 1695 feet above sea level.
# 2 Reservoir has a capacity of 21,817,716 gallons and is 1687 feet above sea level.
# 3 Reservoir has a capacity of 4,987,230 gallons and is 1687 feet above sea level.
# 4 Reservoir has a capacity of 34,602,480 gallons and is 1710 feet above sea level.
Mahanoy City Participants in World War
Mahanoy City's Honored Dead- World War
A tree is planted at the East End Park for each soldier that died in the World War. Experts of State College witnessed the proper location in marking the trees at the East End Park.
The expense was paid by the Sunday Schools, Churches and Lodges. The cost for planting and marking each tree was five dollars. Mrs. R. P. Swank, Mr. John D. Giffin and Mr. J. W. Strong were on the Cornmitte.
Mahanoy City's Spanish American War Veterans Living
Three hundred and six men of Mahanoy City served in the Civil War.
Boy Scouts of America
History of Troop Number One
This troop was organized by William Carl and consisted of a group of boys who spent their leisure time on North Main Street in the vicinity of the
old Kaier Hotel. Mr. Carl was, at that time, clerk at the hotel and Frank F. Reed, the proprietor.
The first meetings were held in the hotel and later in Mr. Edward S. Silliman's garage. Mr. Oday
then arranged for a meeting place in the basement
of the High School and the meetings were held here for several years. As the attendance increased new rooms had to be opened and after being moved to several
different places the troop was finally forced to vacate. For several months the meetings were held on the outside, but later the troops were compelled to disband.
A Scout Band was organized, consisting of 35 scouts, many of whom are now prominent musicians. During and after the war this band officiated at the funeral of the war veterans whose bodies were
sent home for burial. In Mahanoy City, they attended about eighteen funerals and several in Girardville and Ashland.
During the "Flu Epidemic" the troop was very active, at the Emergency Hospital first located in
the Kaier Hotel, and later in the High School. A detail of the older scouts was on duty from early morning until late at night, doing all the errands and messenger service for which they were
highly commended by the Army Officers in charge. They were also available for the service throughout the entire town.
It was only necessary to send your request to the headquarters and your call would receive immediate attention.
Under the very able direction of Mr. William R. Bradley, a First Aid Squad, which became the best in
the county, winning first place at all meets which were held annually in different towns of the county, was organized. It even surpassed several of the colliery squads which at that time were very active.
One superintendent offered the squad work during the summer. Frank M. Crawshaw, Vladimir Smith, Charles Kaier, Edward Wishing, Russell Green, Feger Reed and David Jenkins were the members of the squad.
During the World War the troop took part in all
drives for Red Cross and other activities and were especially active in the sale of Liberty Bonds. For selling War Saving Stamps, they were awarded a badge made of metal taken from captured
German cannons. The badge was awarded when a thousand dollars worth of stamps were sold and a palm attached to the badge for
each additional five hundred dollars worth. Most of the older scouts received these badges and several
of them had numerous palms attached.
The troop was always at the top in all athletic events generally coming out first in the hundred yard dash, relay race, signaling and high jump.
A minstrel show was produced annually in the High
School and most of the time had to give five performances to accommodate the patrons. The revenue derived from these shows amounted to about $350.00 yearly. This money was used principally to pay
the expenses of a fifteen day camp trip. The attendance at these camps averaged 83 scouts and officers.
Recently a drive for clothing and furniture was made through the United States by order of President Roosevelt (who is the Honorary President of the Boy Scouts of America.) This material was to be
turned over to the Salvation Army, Red Cross and similar organizations to
be distributed to the needy. The scouts of town, under
the leadership of their scoutmasters, collected many truck loads which were distributed as directed. Rev. Lester B. Lutz was Chairman of the Committee in charge of this work .
Mahanoy City Banks