The Mahanoy Area Historical Society met on Thursday, February 22, 2018, at 7 PM at the Rhoades Downtown Center. Attending were: Paul Coombe, Betty Ann Chescattie, Marylou Henninger, Charles Palulis, Peg Coombe, and Peg Grigalonis via Facetime. The meeting was opened with the Pledge of Allegiance, followed by a prayer by Paul Coombe
The minutes of the November 2017 meeting were read and approved on a motion made by Paul Coombe and seconded by Betty Ann Chescattie.
The treasurer’s reports for December 2017 and January 2018 were presented, and indicated the following balances: December 2017 - $31,100.46 January 2018 - $31,516.59 The treasurer’s reports were accepted on a motion made by Marylou Henninger and seconded by Betty Ann Chescattie. It was noted that thank you cards were sent for donations of $50 and above.
1. Letter from Girardville Irish Parade Committee regarding parade registration. Francis Burke was contacted and indicated that registration has taken place.
2. A card and donation of $100 in memory of Celeste Danisavich was received from Xi Zeta Chi Sorority.
3. Donation request from West End Fire and Rescue – denied as per policy
4. Thank you card was received from Larry and Mim (Selgrath) Eichelberger for the floral arrangement for the funeral of Frank Selgrath. It was noted that thank you cards were sent to those contributing to the historical society in Frank Selgrath’s memory.
1. Paul Coombe will update the by-laws to reflect the approved recent change.
2. The proposed plans for the 20th Anniversary celebration for the Historical Society included the following:
a. Date of event is October 13, 2018
b. Venue is the Elks at a cost of $200
c. Menu will be provided by A&C Catering
d. Proposed ticket price will be $20
e. Entertainment by Tom Flamini’s group - The Multi-Millionaires
f. Open bar or bar tickets to be determined
g. Discussion of decorations to reflect historical theme
3. Scott Herring provided sample photos of memorabilia which can be ordered to commemorate 250th Anniversary of Coal. It was proposed that the historical society do a coal themed presentation in conjunction with Ethnic Day.
1. Paul Coombe presented a preliminary Financial Report for 2017.
2. Paul Coombe placed a book order with Arcadia for 46 Images #1 books and 40 Lakewood Park books at a 51% discount price.
3. The Hometown Heroes Banners project being initiated by Mahanoy City Borough was discussed. It was decided to table any action until the second run of banners.
The meeting was adjourned on a motion made by Paul Coombe and seconded by Betty Ann Chescattie. Next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 26, 2018.
Peg Coombe, Secretary