In 1889, the Schuylkill Traction Company built the first trolley road connecting Ashland, Girardville, and Gilberton to Center Street in Mahanoy City. The trolley lines were abandoned in 1925, when buses became more popular.
The first Philadelphia and Reading Railroad passenger freight station was probably built in the 1870's at the juncture of the spur track that ran on the east side of Kaier Brewery and connected to the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Later, the most recent passenger train station was built to the west, nearer to Main Street, and the original station was used strictly for freight. With the decline of the railroad industry in recent years, both stations have been demolished and all but one track have been removed. The existing track is currently owned and used by the Reading and Northern Railroad.