Top Photo- Kaier Brewery (circa 1950)
The Kaier Brewery was erected in 1883 on North Main Street and Commercial Alley. By 1912 it was producing 100,000 barrels of beer per year. The state of the art facility had its own blacksmith, tinsmith, plumbing, carpenter, and cooperage shops, as well as the largest individual ice plant in the vicinity.
The old St. Nicholas breaker received its name in 1861 because the initial run of coal took place on Christmas Day. The mine that supplied the breaker with raw coal was opened in 1858 by Henry Geist, who drove a drift into the hillside. Henry L. Cake joined Geist as a partner in 1861, and he named the operation. The breaker was torn down in 1928 to make way for the new central plant, which was constructed a short distance to the north.